Saturday 21 October 2017

Practical - Verbs

For the practical element of this project I am going to start by illustrating verbs in simple forms. In my first group tutorial we discussed how it would be more interesting to try and draw verbs as symbols rather than just nouns, as verbs possess a further level of complexity. I made a start by finding a huge list of verbs and picking some to try and communicate with the aesthetics of simplicity in mind. 

Alert: 
The first word I tried was 'alert' - which may have been a bit of a silly choice as there are already a lot of signs and symbols that communicate something similar. This meant I had to ignore ideas and images that I'd seen before and try to create something a original and a little more interesting. I tried to do this a little by using negative space. I also decided to incorporate colour as I felt as though this would make it a lot easier to communicate the right tone. The colour red to me signifies 'danger' which I think closely relates to the word 'alert'. 

Announce:
The second word I tried was 'announce'. This one was a lot more fun, probably because I ended up creating some visual metaphors. Metaphor is definitely something I was to research and talk about within my essay as I feel that it a great way to communicate complex ideas or multiple ideas in one single image. The symbol in the black frame was what I thought to be the final one, however, after looking at it for a bit, I wasn't sure that it communicated the word 'announce' well enough. The addition of the three lines on the right bring the image to life and show that it communicates an action. 

No comments:

Post a Comment