Saturday 28 October 2017

Litost (Czech) - Roughs

I started with the 3 examples shown in my previous post about untranslatable emotions. Some of the words in the list are really interesting!

To begin with, I wrote down the word and definition. I then underlined the key words within each sentence to give me specific visual cues to work with. This made it a lot easier when attempting to communicate the whole idea in one simple image. As discovered previously, I found visual metaphors to be a really useful tool for this task. It allows me to incorporate all elements of the definition without over-complicating things- which is essentially the aim of my project as a whole. 

Litost (Czech):
Definition: A state of torment created by the sudden sight of one's own misery.

  • Single eye = one person - 'one's own'
  • Sad face within iris = 'misery', also like a reflection 
  • Iris doesn't touch outer eye = creates illusion of wide eyes - 'sudden'
  • Sharp lines = 'torment'
  • Tear = 'misery' 
........
I'm not sure whether each image would work without the text alongside it. However, does having to use text to further explain the image defeats the object of this project? This is something to think about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment