Wednesday 4 October 2017

CoP3 Presentation & Group Tutorial 1




Above is my presentation, put together for my first group tutorial. It outlines some ideas I've had about what my dissertation might focus on this year. I've also incorporated slides about where these ideas have come from, research that I have carried out so far and where I think the practical element of CoP3 might go. 



The feedback I received today was actually really useful. I've been a little lost with what to focus my project on and today has given me some more ideas and clarified things a little. Initially I wanted to look into the process of simplification and whether the meaning that an image conveys is affected when the visual perception of it has been simplified. Furthermore, I wanted to explore where the limit was. At what point does this sign no longer represent what it initially did? When has the process been pushed too far? My ideas for the practical side of things were to take an object and repeatedly draw it, simplifying more and more each time until I reach a point or potentially pass the point where its at its most reduced form before losing meaning. However, I felt as though this process had been done many times before and the whole idea needed more depth. 

Jamie and my peers suggested I look into the relationship between forms and shapes- an idea sparked from an example shown in my presentation of a double-page spread from artist Warja Lavater's fairy tale interpretations (See previous post 'Warja Lavater - Image Analysis' - 15/08/17) . She communicates narrative using dots of different colours, size and placement. On their own, each of these dots simply represents a dot, however, when placed amongst other dots that differ slightly they serve a purpose and communicate key elements within the story.


So my project is now going to focus on the relationship between forms/ shapes. (More on this later!)

No comments:

Post a Comment