Thursday 18 January 2018

Reflective Summary 4 - Essay

The essay, due to choosing a topic I was genuinely interested in, wasn’t as bad as I was expecting. I think the level of research I carried out enabled me to make an informed approach to it which made it less difficult to tackle. I did struggle to start it. For me, working systematically when writing is essential, I have to start at the beginning and go on from there. I found that the most difficult line was the first one, but once I got past that, it seemed a little more achievable.

I find it really useful to make a solid plan. The more I plan, the easier it is for me to keep a flow of writing. On my blog I have made a post for each text I read, I then went back into it again to highlight key quotes and points that could be useful for the essay (the green highlights of these posts do not need to be read, they are purely for my own benefit). I then filtered through this once again and created a document of quotes and references I could use. These were colour-coded in terms of author, which turned out to be super helpful. I also added to my Bibliography as I went along, which I’m proud of as this is usually something I forgot to do and panic about last-minute (this left room to panic about other things).

My first essay draft wasn’t a full one. I did as much as I could, and the feedback received was really useful and helped when writing the rest of the essay. It need to be restructured, and I realised at that point that there were three main points I was discussing within the essay- reduction, organisation and metaphor and this allowed to me to clearly outline each one and make better connections between them.  When it came to my next draft, I was slightly more confident about it. I still have a habit of panicking about things like this because I doubt myself a lot, but I have tried my best to write something clear, concise and analytical.  

I found the practical section much easier to write about as I was talking about my own work and all of the ideas that went into making each one. As they are extremely simple, its probable that some element that I have thought about and put effort into will be overlooked, but I hope that the images demonstrate the ideas and theories discussed in the essay well as the whole project has been huge a learning experience. The central processes outlines will always be in the back of my mind when creating reductive shaped-based design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment