Thursday 14 April 2016

Experiments oooh

I thought it would be fun to carry out an experiment as part of my visual investigation. I am going to ask  a selection of children (of different ages preferably) to draw a boy, girl, man, woman and what they want to be when they grow up. I am doing this to see if the research I have carried out is true in suggesting that television has affected how children understand the world and society's views on things. I figured I should probably carry out the task myself first so below are my outcomes:
Girl/Boy
Woman/ Man
What I want to be when I grow up. Even though I'm already technically a grown up. I don't feel like I am though so this still counts. Also, don't ask why I look evil, it kinda just happened. And if you can't already tell from the wonky drawing tools in my oddly large hands, I want to do something artsy. Not actually certain on what in particular at the moment, but there's still time to figure that out.
It was a little difficult at the beginning as I was aware of the reason behind the experiment. I tried to just forget about that and draw whatever came to mind first. I'm actually quite disappointed in myself at how stereotypical the drawings are. The girl is wearing a skirt, the boy is wearing a t-shirt and shorts, the woman has incredible big lips, a very slim figure with wide hips and a thigh gap, and the man is wearing a suit pretty much. Let's not talk about my drawing of what I want to be when I grow up.
The drawings just show that stereotypes of both genders have been ingrained into our minds, well, mine anyway. Looking back, I maybe should have added colour. I can tell you they would probably be very stereotypical though- pink for girls, blue for boys- as truthfully, those are the colours I'd think of first. I'm already finding this experiment really interesting. I am going to ask children as well as adults if they'll take part in the experiment as this will provide me with a wider range of outcomes to work from. Wooop.

No comments:

Post a Comment